”Chris brings almost three decades of senior leadership experience in corporate and product communications to APCO from one of the strongest corporate brands in the world, said Brad Staples, CEO of APCO Worldwide. “His deep industry knowledge and experience in looking after P&G and its leading brands strengthens our offer to clients. We are excited to have him join us.”
As P&G’s Global External Relations Officer, Hassall led a 1,200-person function with global responsibility for corporate communications and reputation, issue and crisis prevention and management philanthropy, media and public relations, government and community relations, regulatory and technical relations, and brand publicity and consumer relations. Hassall previously served in P&G’s Guangzhou office, where he was responsible for external relations for Asia and Greater China. He also worked at P&G’s Geneva office, leading external relations in Central and Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Africa. He first joined P&G in 1983 as a research scientist, after obtaining his Ph.D. in Pharmacology and Toxicology from the University of Arizona.
“I look forward to joining an exceptional group of global business and public sector leaders on APCO’s IAC and helping the firm to continue delivering industry-leading work with meaningful results for its clients,” said Hassall. “I believe my decades of experience in corporate communications, technical relations, and issue and crisis prevention and management, will serve APCO’s clients well as they look for new and innovative ways to engage an expanding global market.”
After retiring from P&G in 2012, Hassall returned to Guangzhou to teach in the MBA and EMBA programs at the Sun Yat-Sen University Business School. He helped hundreds of students develop a deep knowledge of multinational business operations and brand building in China, with an emphasis on business development and corporate responsibility. Hassall also authored several articles in the China Business Review. He is a Global Ambassador to the China Youth Development Foundation’s Project Hope and served on the boards of the Cincinnati Ballet, the Cincinnati Opera , the Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce and the Cincinnati Center City Development Corporation.
Hassall joins an experienced team of senior business leaders, including:
- Nancy Bachrach, former executive vice president and chief marketing officer of Grey Worldwide
- J. Norwell Coquillard, former chairman and president of Cargill Investment (China) Limited
- Vada Manager, former senior director of global issues management for Nike
- Linda McMahon, former chief executive officer of World Wrestling Entertainment
- Phyllis Piano, former vice president of corporate communications and philanthropy at Amgen
- Kirk Stewart, former global vice president of corporate communications for Nike, Inc.
- Sandra E. Taylor, former senior vice president of corporate social responsibility for Starbucks Coffee Company