Challenge: Turkey has become an energy hub and Europe’s principal consumer market. To capitalize on this and enhance its brand image as the leading news and international affairs publication in the region, The Economist wanted to organize its European Energy Summit in Istanbul, but needed on-the-ground operational capacity and connections to relevant stakeholders.
Approach: APCO formulated a comprehensive communications and social media strategy in line with The Economist’s branding, as well as sponsors’ promotional objectives, in order to secure high-profile speakers, attract journalists and stakeholders, and position the summit as a reputable forum for discussion and debate.
Results: More than 40 journalists and 200 professionals from across the energy sector attended the summit, including industry executives, NGO activists and government officials. The summit received widespread coverage across a variety of international, domestic, business and energy sector outlets, and the media coverage was further amplified through a successful social media strategy.
Results At A Glance:
- Attracted more than 200 energy sector professionals to the event
- Covered by 40 journalists from Turkish and international sources, including Bloomberg, Reuters, Al Jazeera and the Associated Press
- Attained two key sponsors of the event
- Secured key CEOs, industry thought leaders and top government officials as conference speakers, including:
- Eight C-suite energy executives
- The Turkish Ministers of EU Affairs, and Energy and Natural Resources
- Kurdistan Regional Government’s Minister of Natural Resources
- Managed the summit’s press office, social media content , interviews and logistics