Washington (November 17, 2016) – Ambassador Paula Dobriansky, the former U.S. Undersecretary of State for Global Affairs, and a leading diplomat and foreign policy expert, joined APCO’s International Advisory Council (IAC) announced Margery Kraus, founder and executive chairman of APCO Worldwide.
“Throughout her distinguished career, Paula has established herself as a leading public affairs and foreign policy expert,” Kraus said. “Her experience advancing global cooperation on environment, health development and humanitarian issues will be of tremendous value to our clients as they face an increasingly complex global political reality. We are delighted to welcome Paula to our IAC.”
Appointed by President George W. Bush at the beginning of his administration, Ambassador Dobriansky served as Undersecretary of State for Global Affairs from 2001-2009, where she established and led the U.S.-India, U.S.-China, and U.S.-Brazil Global Issues Fora.
In February 2007, as the President's Special Envoy to Northern Ireland, Ambassador Dobriansky contributed to the devolution of power in Belfast, and later received the Distinguished Service Medal, the Secretary of State's highest honor, for her leadership and policy contribution.
Following her tenure in the State Department, Ambassador Dobriansky headed Global Government and Regulatory Affairs at Thomson Reuters from 2010-2012.
“I’m very excited to be joining APCO’s International Advisory Council,” Dobriansky said. “The firm has a strong reputation as a leader in global public affairs.”
Ambassador Dobriansky is also a senior fellow in the Future of Diplomacy Project at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs at Harvard University’s School of Government, and has served in key roles for five presidential administrations.
Ambassador Dobriansky received a bachelor’s degree in International Politics from Georgetown University, and masters and doctorate degrees from Harvard University.
Ambassador Dobriansky joins a distinguished group of global political leaders and experts on APCO’s IAC including:
- Eduardo Aguirre, former U.S. ambassador to Spain and Andorra
- Claudia Fritsche, former Ambassador of Liechtenstein to the United States
- Dan Glickman, former U.S. congressman; former U.S. secretary of agriculture; former chairman of the Motion Picture Association of America, Inc.
- Anita B. McBride, former assistant to President George W. Bush; former chief of staff to First Lady Laura Bush
- Tim Roemer, former U.S. ambassador to India; former U.S. congressman
- Andrés Rozental, former Deputy Foreign Minister of Mexico